Challenges of using PDF online
We ran this forum in 2011 in Melbourne (April 14), Canberra (May 18) and Brisbane (September 14). We had two main speakers who discussed accessibility and usability issues associated with the use of PDF documents online. And we invited local presenters to talk about the PDF challenges they face in their organisations.
- Melbourne: Just over 70 people attended, and we had a long waiting list. Everyone was amazed to hear that the Department of Primary Industries in Victoria have converted all their PDF content to web pages.
- Canberra: 80 people attended the Canberra forum at the Novotel. Again, we were full and had a waiting list. The presentations stimulated a lively discussion on the use of other document formats, particularly RTF.
- Brisbane: Almost 70 people came along to the forum. We got a great insight into the use of PDF in Queensland government and some interesting anecdotes from Queensland University of Technology.
Our presenters have kindly made their presentations available.
|Neil King, Vision Australia||PDF and Accessibility|
|Dey Alexander, 4 Syllables||When PDF goes BAD: the user experience of PDF|
|Claire Spencer, Origin Energy||PDF at Origin Energy|
|Iza Bartosiewicz, RMIT University||PDF at RMIT University|
|Chris Lassig, Department of Sustainability and Environment (Vic)||PDF at Department of Sustainability and Environment|
|Mark Bryant, Department of Primary Industries (Vic)||PDF at Department of Primary Industries|
|Alan Higgins, ACT Chief Minister and Cabinet||PDF at ACT Chief Minister and Cabinet|
|Dianne Seath, Attorney General’s Department||PDF at Attorney General’s Department|
|Rory Daly, Smart Service Queensland||PDF in Queensland Government|
|Jilly Magee, Queensland University of Technology||PDF at Queensland University of Technology (Google docs)|
- Draft PDF accessibility techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0
- Australian Government PDF accessibility study
- PDF accessibility presentations by Andrew Kirkpatrick from Adobe
- PDF accessibility testing tools compared